Agape

Agape
A Picture Taken Of Me During My Presentation

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Exploring Second Life

New name: Agape Avro...I think I like it even better than the last. (I had to make a new account since mine had expired)

I was very impressed with Second Life. I was absolutely amazed with how much you could alter your avatars appearance. I also found it very interesting to see how other people in the class altered the appearances of their avatars.
It was very helpful to gather together as a group on orientation island. I also liked the "notes" you receive when clicking on signs so that you can always pull up a note to remember how to do things such as changing your appearance. So far I have only been to orientation island and the store where you can get freebies. I was able to get new outfits, cars and even a house I believe...now it will just be figuring out how to use them and what to do with them. It was also really neat to learn how to fly. On a side note, I was very surprised to learn in lecture that people would put alot of money into something like this. However, now that I'm starting to see what is available in Second Life and all the possibilities that could emerge from spending some money, I can see the appeal of having some Linden dollars. If you saw something you really wanted to have for your avatar, I can definitely understand how one would be tempted to spend money. Especially since the actual Second Life experience is free.

I still think I need to spend alot of my own time on Second Life to really get a feel for how everything works and get comfortable with exploring the virtual world. So far I'm impressed with Second Life but I think I will enjoy it alot more once I understand all the codes and conventions involved and can navigate with ease.

No comments:

Is Second Life a Cultural Industry?