Agape

Agape
A Picture Taken Of Me During My Presentation

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The process of creating my avatar!

When we could choose a prototype to start with I choose the girl next store because I identified with that character more than the clubbing girl, furry, goth girl or whatever else was offered. It is interesting how you immediately have to categorize yourself, or at least choose who you WANT to be..not necessarily who you are. From there I adjusted all the features slightly. The avatar is only somewhat like me. On paper, we would both seem similar: blonde hair, blue eyes, tall...But I don’t think we look very much alike. Although, it was important to me that she reflected me in some way. I never even considered choosing brown or red hair just because that’s not who I am. What I don’t really like about my avatar is her eyes. Her center of her eye is way too far up and I’m not sure how to fix it. Besides that, and her looking somewhat unnatural, I’m pretty satisfied. My avatar is wearing a light purple dress which is my favourite colour. I’ve also been looking for a hairstyle similar to my own. But there are definitely differences. My avatar is a lot skinner than myself. She also has a bigger chest, although nothing outrageous (since chest size can get pretty huge in second life!). She has a more muscular build, thinner limbs etc. Of course, in real life I would love to be in better shape and have ideal features, so I would definitely agree that an avatar is a way to express some of what you wish you could be and also some of what you are. I also found it interesting that in class someone brought up that there were not a lot of fat avatars. It never occurred to me to make my avatar fat. It seems like people are trying to make enhanced versions of themselves.

No comments:

Is Second Life a Cultural Industry?