Agape

Agape
A Picture Taken Of Me During My Presentation

Monday, February 25, 2008

Collision of cultures.

Going along with Flickr pictures, I really like taking pictures in second life. This isn't very surprising since in real life I really enjoy scrapbooking and taking pictures. As well, the picture possibilities in second life seem virtually (pun intended) endless. I really like the picture I took of me (Agape) infront of the picture of the child in the Darfur exhibit. I really like how it is a RL person face to face with a virtual person. A child and an "adult", and both are the same size and both are from very very different worlds. In general I find interesting the idea of worlds colliding in Second Life. People from all over the world in this world. Different cultures, genders, ethniticities and ages. All coming with different worldviews, relgions, beliefs and opinions that can be expressed through their appearance or through buildings, or through different forms of activism. Ofcourse there are challenges presented here as well. As someone mentioned in class today, it can be hard to establish laws and methods of conduct since people are coming from different legal systems and may have varying views of right and wrong. Overall, however, I just find this a really unique community of individuals who are using Second Life to express themselves and their different interests and passions.

No comments:

Is Second Life a Cultural Industry?