Agape

Agape
A Picture Taken Of Me During My Presentation

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Signing up for a Second Life Account

I’m a person who likes to think things through. What might take another person 5 minutes could take me 30. I was at the name page of Second Life for probably about 10-15 minutes when it could have been a lot faster. I chose the last name “Alter” almost immediately (Destiny and Dreamscape were close runners-up, but I didn’t like the connotations that could be applied to those names…). Anyways! Alter was chosen because I consider this Second life character to be like an alter ego. For my first name I chose Agape. I’ve always liked that word because it means love, specifically selfless love. Also, as you may be able to tell by the name of this blog, I’m a big fan of alliteration. Next was the web page titled, “Welcome Agape Alter!”…although the name sounds kind of weird, I like it.
Following this, I had to choose an avatar. I quickly chose the girl next store. Unfortunately, it was after this screen that I accidentally closed the webpage – frustrating. Luckily, I was able to sign back in as a resident with my name and password. Thus far, however, I have not been able to figure out how to get back to choosing my avatar’s appearance and fiddling around with those types of details. I was able to read lots of information about how to do it, and how to go to events and join communities…but I’m not sure how to get back to where I was. I want to get to the Orientation Island that was discussed in class. I considered making a new avatar, and almost did, but somehow I’m already attached to this one so I’m hoping that in tomorrow’s class I can get back on track. At the very least I created a name and account and am a registered resident. I can’t wait to actually explore the virtual world and go to different events and meet people. It all seems very surreal…probably because it is! I couldn’t believe that this can actually be a person’s job and that lots of money can be made in Second Life in areas such as real estate. By looking around, I think it will also be interesting to find things to do without having any money. I haven’t done much yet, but I am excited to find out how to navigate the site and explore the world of Second Life. I am also grateful that I am alongside a class who is new to this so that I can not only learn with them but also have friends on Second Life! I’m looking forward to class tomorrow and hoping I can figure out how to get back to creating my avatar and onto Orientation Island!

No comments:

Is Second Life a Cultural Industry?